Re: Boom vang on a Maramu

Dennis Johns

Bill,

Early Maramus had a flaking mainsail not in-mast furling.  On my Maramu, the leach of the sail rubbed against the topping lift and would also get hung up on it.    So it was necessary to slacken the topping lift so the mainsail would tack properly and even then it could get hung up.  You had to remember to tighten the topping lift before dropping the sail.  In addition, the topping lift would prevent flattening the sail downwind, so it had to be slackened then as well.

Most early Maramu owners can attest to the annoyance of this condition unless they had a new mainsail cut so this would not be an issue.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu 121

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 12:14 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
Lance,

I am curious, why the desire to get rid of the topping lift?

I don't know exactly how that is set up on the Maramu, but on the SM it it completely functional, and requires NO input from the user.  It is just there, doing its job of holding up the boom when needed, and can be completely ignored when trimming sails. No adjustment, no tweaking. I can not imagine any arrangement that would be more function or
easier to deal with and require less interaction from the crew.

If yours does not work like this, it might just be in need of maintenance or repair, or maybe just a return to the original design?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA.