Re: Seacock Replacement Ball Valve in Head

Steve Leeds

Hi Mark,
Unfortunately, I don't remember specifically what tool I used to remove the gelcoat from the ball valve, but I do remember it came off easier than I would have expected.  Use Blue Monster Teflon tape for all pipe joints, much better than the hardware store variety.  Note, this valve is British straight thread, not normal pipe thread!  You can get a Groco ball valve in British straight thread on line.  They come with a grease fitting and Groco sells a special marine growth resistant grease for this purpose.

Regards,
Steve Leeds
Sharki 121
Circumnavigator's Yacht Service, Inc.

On Saturday, November 27, 2021, 03:12:04 PM EST, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Next week I being the joyous task of changing out the seacock in the aft head.

For those who have done this, do you have any advice on the best way to remove the fiberglass overlay allowing the valve to be turned? Also, what product did you successfully use for thread sealant on the new valve,

Thanks in advance!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us