Re: Forward head black water tank copper fitting replacement

Christian,

There are two brass/bronze fittings on the bottom of the black water tank, input and output. The output referred to in this thread does not have anything inside the tank that is attached to it. The input does have either a hose or the bronze pipe which is connected to the input and runs inside the tank to almost the top of the inside of the tank. The purpose of this is if the input is opened or loosened, you will not drain the entire contents.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 6:32 PM Christian Sloane <csloane@...> wrote:
Hello there, another follow up question from a newbie owner…
what did you put inside on the other end of the 1.5” to 1.5” hose barb to hose barb fitting?
Did you use hose, or a section of PVC straight up, like a stand pipe to replace the function of the copper pipe you removed?
Our boat is same vintage, and I suspect I will have to do this at some point…
thanks in advance!

Christian and Jane
Escapades, SM #350
San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

On Nov 29, 2021, at 3:55 AM, Alan Woody Wood <woody@...> wrote:

Nice job Kevin.

I’m thinking of replacing mine soon, not because of corrosion but there seems to be a blockage in it. I presumed it was calcium and tried acid but to no avail. Next step would be to drill into it but would the original fitting have had an inverse U-bend inside the tank to prevent back pressure on the feed pipe when the tank is full?

I’m not sure if I read that somewhere or just made it up in my head but it would make sense and I wouldn’t want to destroy it with the drill if there is.

Anyone know anything about this?

- Woody