Type 2 Autopilot -noisy operation

Kevin Schmit

Hey folks,

I’m attempting to troubleshoot my secondary (backup) autopilot behind the helm station.  It works but is noisy as all get out and believe it needs some loving.(Hopefully it’s not supposed to sound like this..)

I’ve included a video of the issue I’m having.  I disassembled most of the unit and thought I’d find something obvious…like broken teeth on the gear box or something like that.  I checked the clutch according to Raymarines technical guide ( 26-30 ohms.  I’ve got 27.3) so it’s not the clutch.  I suspect it’s one of the two gear boxes but thought I’d ask here to see if anyone else has had the same issue.
--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA