Re: Type 2 Autopilot -noisy operation

Alex BAIZEAU

Hi Kevin,

It’s not supposed to be that noisy.

We had a similar issue, maybe not as noisy but still too noisy.

It turned out that one the pin/axis of one of the planetary gears was slightly dislodged from it’s position and instead of being flush with gear it was sticking out and rubbing against the metal case.

I banged it back in place and it really improved.

If i recall correctly there are two set of planetary gears in that assembly, i’m talking about the set of 4 that is the furthest away from the clutch/closest to the wheel that connects to chain.

Good luck

Alex.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 8:59 PM Kevin Schmit <kevschmit64@...> wrote:
Hey folks,

I’m attempting to troubleshoot my secondary (backup) autopilot behind the helm station.  It works but is noisy as all get out and believe it needs some loving.(Hopefully it’s not supposed to sound like this..)

I’ve included a video of the issue I’m having.  I disassembled most of the unit and thought I’d find something obvious…like broken teeth on the gear box or something like that.  I checked the clutch according to Raymarines technical guide ( 26-30 ohms.  I’ve got 27.3) so it’s not the clutch.  I suspect it’s one of the two gear boxes but thought I’d ask here to see if anyone else has had the same issue.
--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA