Re: Forever Young / Standing rigging

Be careful about comparing costs for an ACMO rig for a SM.

A few years ago, the rig kit for a SM was 7k euro, and as of 1 Dec it was 10k euro. Those prices do not include VAT or Freight.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 2:39 AM Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Bob,

Having been in Turkey now for nearly 18 months we’re are starting to see the issues about bring stuff into the country. We have seen a number of cruising friends who have been stung by large import costs, sometimes upto 100% the cost of the item. It has certainly made us very cautious.

We have spoken to Emek Marine and also M2 riggers about assisting us and it is good to know and hear from other Amel owners who have done the same.

Kind Regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Turkey

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, December 16, 2021, 8:10 AM, rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

We used Emik Marin, the Amel service center which is located in Göcek .  I think the yacht-in-transit tax exemption process in Turkey is a bit complicated or involves using someone who knows the tax officials.  Like many things with Emik (and indeed in Turkey) we haggled for quite a while over the cost.  Initially the cost was going to be high but came down.  I suspect that Emik was able to combine the ACMO rigging with some other tax free imports to get the process costs down.  They do these on a regular basis so they know the ins and outs--I recall that when their van arrived it had a tax seal on the door that was opened by an official and as I noted they required a boat stamp and observation of the boat itself along with some animated discussion in Turkish with Emik staff.  Having Çay with the tax officials was part of the process of course...gotta love Turkey!.  The bottom line was that our cost for a complete ACMO kit installed by the experts at M2 was €9,000 (we only negotiated on our final cost including agent fees, ACMO costs and shipping costs, and probably tax agent fees.  I recall that we used a "broken record" technique claiming that we could only pay the 9K....eventually it became a reality.  BTW topping lifts were the only items not included in the ACMO kit and we....you guessed it.....haggled with M2 and traded them some other rigging items and they made them up from scratch.

We only needed a boat stamp but let me repeat this post....a "Yacht-In-Transit" stamp has been helpful in other locations (you can get self-inking customized, official looking, yacht-in-transit stamps for about $10 on eBay..... https://photos.app.goo.gl/f4Le1aq4eyMPFQyZ9

Bob      KAIMI SM429

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi