Re: Hybrid Lead/Lithium

Juan de Zulueta

Scott,

Many thanks

This is indeed a good solution but I have many Mastervolt devices so Mastervolt digital input device will allow to stop charge all Mastervolt devices, chargers and alternators.
; and stop charge of the convertors leveraging Masterbus.

Best regards

Juan de Zulueta
+33680895892
sent from my Ipad.

Le 16 déc. 2021 à 13:31, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> a écrit :

Juan,

I have a full victron system except for the mastervolt 110 alternator.

You can interface the charge disconnect from the victron BMS with the brown reg-on wire of the master volt alpha pro 2 or 3 regulator. This allows the victron BMS to tell the alternator to shut off charging current in the event of a cell overvoltage situation.  It just requires a solid state relay and two regular automotive relays.

I wrote some posts a while back about how I implemented that. Hope that saves you some work.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021, 06:55 Juan de Zulueta via groups.io <jdezulueta=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dear Amel fellow,
On the subject of Safety, a few years ago in St Raphael, the boat moored next to my Super was badly hit by a strike, some of its cockpit instruments went outside boat and all wires burned 🥵.
On my boat all electronics were totally destroyed at once even the regulator of the alternator… all this happened in the harbour … I don t think this is a Pb of Lithium or Lead…
I am planning to install two new lithium batteries Victron and indeed i will buy an extra BMS for safety. I am planning to interface them with Mastervolt via the Masterbus digital input device (connected to the Ve Bus BMS)which will to stop charge or stop load of the mastervolt devices including the alternator.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Juan de Zulueta
SM 32
Ophelie X
Guadeloupe

Le 16 déc. 2021 à 07:08, Dean Gillies <stella@...> a écrit :

Hi James,
Those are very sensible considerations. I am also a big fan of Gel's, except for their cost and energy density as you point out. I have happily used them in many military projects over the years where safety and ruggedness were paramount.

I cannot speak for every external BMS system, but my REC BMS and I'm sure the vast majority of others, do provide over-voltage protection against charge sources regardless of whether they are controlled and/or monitored by the BMS.  The BMS will disconnect the LFP battery when an over voltage is detected.

With regard to the other safety issue you mention, where a short occurs in the lead battery of a directly-connected hybrid system, is mitigated by means of the series fusing provided on both the LFP and Lead batteries. In my system for example, 400A class T fuses protect both batteries.
I don't know what the fusing arrangement is on LFP batteries with internal BMS.

It's worth noting that most (if not all) external BMS units are fail-safe. The LFP is dis-connected by default and is only connected when all parameters are within spec.  In the event of a failure of the BMS, the LFP is disconnected. (Another reason that it's nice to have the lead component in the circuit to keep the lights on).

cheers,
Dean
SV STELLA
A54-154