Re: Anchor Windlass leak/short?

Nicolas Klene

Hello Giovanni

Any chance of a quick pic of your cover ? Thanks
Nicolas
DarNico
Amel 53#471

Le 9 déc. 2021 à 12:57, Giovanni TESTA <giovannitesta53@...> a écrit :

Hello,

a little tip after Bill  ;-))

To protect the 2  switches from water, UV and normal wear and in the same time to exclude possible cause of electrical trouble, I use (many years) a plastic rectangular soft cover, with scotch  tape well fixed all around. More, above all, a white plastic protective sheet, fixet with 2 elastic (front/back casing).  Obviously I have than to mark the position of the 2 buttons. Easy & effective.

When on the hard (bad season), always with a special sunbrella cover.

Fair Wins

Giovanni Testa

Sv EUTIKIA SM 428

Il 09/12/2021 15:31, Dan Carlson ha scritto:
Hello all,

I'm looking for Anchor Windlass troubleshooting and tips.

My anchor Windlass has sparked where the chain links bounce against the steel around the bow roller when raising or lowering after heavy rain and/or heavy seas.

I had this condition last year also, but then I had the anchor Windlass rebuilt last March.

I suspect that it is caused water leaking around the foot switches in the top of the casing.  So I am looking for confirmation on that as well as any other potential sources to track down while I dig into it.

I also recall reading someone who replaced the foot switches with a hand control because of the ongoing issues with the foot switch? So it seems that solving the leak might not be an easy solution?

And I am open recommendations on the best replacement for the foot switches if that is a good solution.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks and regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387, currently in Antigua.

--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico