From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...>
Date: Wednesday, 22 December 2021 at 2:01 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bowthruster - damaged hex-nut [count on drilling out that bolt and re-tapping the hole + TORX]

David,

There is nothing bad about changing to TORX head bolts for this, but the ability to exert torque on the head really is not the issue.  If the bolts are kept well greased (or otherwise treated) and exercised regularly (every year or two) there is never any reason that they should be more than barely tight.  When well maintained, they will always come out without a struggle.  It’s only when rust and corrosion take over that they get hopelessly difficult!

All of the Amel thrusters have an excellent system for keeping these bolts in place doing their job even if they are only finger tight.  The exact way this was accomplished varied, depending on the build date.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA