Re: In Mast Furling

Joerg Esdorn

Further to my post above, I spoke with a friend who is in the process of ordering a Hallberg Rassy.  I’m fact, HR offers three choices of furling mainsails, no battens, short vertical battens, and full length vertical battens.  They tell prospective owners that the sail with full length battens should only be furled downwind if the boat is on the tack where the battens are to windward on the sail.  If the boat is on the other tack, the battens may prevent the sail from furling into the mast because they are pressed against the mast and may jam in the groove.  So they recommend a battenless sail for world girdling.  Martin, have you had no issues with furling downwind?

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Currently in La Rochelle