Re: Autopilot and other questions

Thomas Wink

Hi Ben,

7. On my 1979 Maramu I had to make the access points myself. The tanks has 4 dividers, so I had to make 4 access points. I consider it a possibility that the tank is not original though..

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022, 19:26 Ben Levy, <benjamin.levy@...> wrote:
Happy new year to all and everyone!

I have recently purchased an Amel Maramu 1981 and I am still trying to figure out what is what, what does what and what is original and what is not.
I have a few questions I was hoping some of you would be able to help me with.

1. Regarding the steering, is it hydraulic or just cables? Anyone can enlighten me please.

2. I currently have the original NECO auto pilot, is it (easily) possible to install a 2nd more modern auto pilot with a linear drive attached to the rudder quadrant? If not, what have people with such vintage boats done?

3. I can't figure out what this is for (circled in red in the photo bellow). It is in the aft cabine, just next to the rudder. It's a hollow tube, which doesn't seem to have any fonction. The plate it is attached to on the right hand side (also circled in red) is rusty, which would make me believe it isn't original. The board numbered 1 green on the photo is not only screwed in but also finer glassed on one side, so I can't remove it to see whether the tube goes anywhere or does anything. Anyone has an idea? Can I remove it? It wold be a good location for a linear drive unit (if I can install one...)

4. I found these in the boat spare parts. They have the amel logo on them, but I can't figure out what they are and what they are being used for?

5. Same with the 2 levers circled on the photo, what are they, what do they do, what is the on and the off position?

6. What about this big piece of metal which goes from the aft (into the fibreglass), under the bed and disappear into the fibreglass next to the rudder stock? Is it linked to the SSB? Is it for grounding?

7. Can anyone confirm whether there is or there is not an access to the fuel tank? It seems unlike amel not to have thought of that and I was wondering whether underneath the wooden board which sits on top on the fuel tank there would be an access (I haven't checked for myself yet as electronics has been installed on top of it and it will turn into a mission to remove it.)

8. I was told that the chain (like a cycle chain) linking the wheel to the NECO autopilot needed to be tightened. But I can't think of anyway to do so? Is it actually doable or does it need to be entirely replaced?

Thank you all so much for your help. I have to admit being a little overwhelmed by the boat and how different it is to any other boat I know...
Cheers,
Ben

Maramu #98, KUJIRA