Re: Check your GPS / AIS devices. Some of them failed on Jan 2, 2022 due to the "GPS Rollover" bug

Scott SV Tengah

I successfully updated my FA-50 AIS. Had to make a crossover ethernet cable since we don't have a hub onboard and the tiny shops on the remote South Pacific atolls are out of fresh vegetables and don't seem to carry crossover ethernet cables, either. ;)  A bit of splicing + turning off windows firewall and I was able to update our FA-50.

Do you have the GP-150? I cannot connect to it to update it. I have the serial output on Data4 enabled with a DB9 output and then connected to a DB9-USB converter. I have been using that for years to provide GPS data to my computer, but I can't get the Furuno update software to connect.

FYI - We know a SM with Garmin and they have been blissfully unaware that they may have been transmitting erroneous AIS position information since 2019. It is not a Furuno specific bug. It's easy to remain unaware that your reported position is missing or incorrect.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69