Re: Check your GPS / AIS devices. Some of them failed on Jan 2, 2022 due to the "GPS Rollover" bug

Alan,

I experienced the "Frist Rollover" with Y2k and the Furuno GP-80 in a SM. The reboot solved everything except the date and the date was not used with any of my connected devices which included AIS "B." At the time I was using OpenCPN for chart plotting and it was not affected.

Bill

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 7:26 PM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hi Peter,

The GP-39 is available here in Australia from a number of chandlers.
Some big differences to GP-90 - it's a lot smaller, so you'll need to reduce the size of the hole, and it has only one NMEA0183 port and one USB port so you'll have to reconfigure how you send the GPS signal to the devices your GP-90 is connected to.

I'm curious about this date rollover issue.
According to Furuno, a cold start will reset the device and the position information will be correct, but it will display the wrong date.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I don't think the date is actually used by anything my GP-90 GPS is connected to.
UTC is contained in some NMEA0183 sentences, RMB for example, but is this calculated in the Furuno, or does it come from the satellites?
I don't know the answer to that and I can't get to the boat to see what effect this wrong date has.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437