From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Odell via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 4:30 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Wide open throttle

This is my first post as my wife Susan and I just bought A54 #153, originally named Aora, now Dragonfly. Excited to be a part of this community, and what great boats these Amels!

My question pertains to running the Volvo Penta at wide open throttle. I previously had a trawler with a 170 hp Lugger diesel. The Lugger technical support manager advised the fleet to run the engine at wide open throttle after 6-8 hours of engine usage. We would run wide open throttle for 5-10 minutes to burn off all of the carbon build up and to heat up the gaskets and seals. Engine temperature would go from 180 degrees F to about 195 degrees F. We would never let the engine temperature exceed 205 degrees F.

A few questions:

1.  Do you run your Volvo Penta at wide open throttle and for how long?

2. What is your normal engine running temperature, and what does the temperature reach at wide open throttle?

3. Under normal engine operating conditions, is there an RPM “sweet spot” where the engine is happy and the fuel burn is efficient?

Thanks in advance.

David

David Odell

A54 #153 Dragonfly