Re: 2026 Downwind Circumnavigation Boat Choice: Amel 50 sloop or Amel 55 ketch?

Bruno COTTE

It was exactly my dilemma . After test on A 50 it is more modern but I think less adapted for circumnavigation ( fridges are perpendicular to the axis  as example )it is 1/3 to 50% more expensive than a vey recent A 55.
The A 55 is more spacious . Some items are less easy ( cleaning the bilge as example ) but is for me more confortable at sea but the interior is globally less optimised than on the A 50.
I crossed many times the Atlantic and once the pacific . With advanced furlers no problem with a sloop ( my pacific crossing was with a sloop with 26 m mast and I was just with my wife )
Thé ketch seems easier to handle as with electrical winches and furlers it is less and less true ) the mizzen is however more practical to pick up an engine in the lazaret than the sloop with its extension in the boom . Moreover I prefer a rudder with a good skeg than 2 rudders on the sloop … at the end I have bought an Amel 55#63 from end 2017 with the 2 aft cabins configurations last year but definitely the Amel 50 could have been also a good choice . For me the last points which made my decision was the delivery schedule and the 50% more for the A 50 with all the options I wished )
Concerning sailing my conclusion is that it is as a colour choice both approaches have advantages and weakness …

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 16 janv. 2022 à 17:08, Fred Vitale <fredvitale@...> a écrit :

I'm facing a pivotal decision on whether to purchase a new Amel 50 (contract delivery already Spring 2025) or a used Amel 55 (availability very limited and unknown in current market).  The big question I have is for any members of the Amel family who have owned an Amel ketch (53/54/55) AND have also spent time aboard the Amel 50 and could attest to the difference between the ketch versus sloop rig.  Are the ketch’s universally accepted advantages of sail balance/stability and comfort a "game changer" recognizing reefing an Amel is easily achieved by push button from the protected cockpit?  Should this be a critical decision factor for our planned circumnavigation?  I have sailed a Beneteau 473 offshore many years and understand the advantages of the sloop in terms of speed and upwind performance but those are not our priorities for this trip.  Any insights to this important decision are welcome.