Re: Machining AMEL-specific tools in NZ (outhaul puller PLUS wrench for the rudder-post-packing nut)

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

You can buy a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum and cut the wrench out with a band saw ; it is very easy.
Just remove the packing nut and use it as a guide.
Attached is a photo of the wrench that I made . Took me an hour a bench grinder and a file to smooth out the aluminum.

To remove the drive pin for the outhaul ,I eventually decided to go cave man on it.
I initially used a grade 9 allen head cap screw to drive the pin out with a 2 1/2 pound sledge hammer. That didn’t work.

I then removed the boom. And laid it on 3 4x4 pieces of wood upside down on the deck. I then used a regular sledgehammer and drove it out. I used the same black grade 9 cap screw. Being a jeweler, I did not whack away at it just forceful taps.
It took about 10 minutes . It only has to move about 1 1/4 inch to slide the key out of the gear in the gearbox.
I did not damage to the gearbox and it has been fine for the last 16 years.

I did clean up the shaft and removed a few thousands of an inch from the sides and front of the key.
I now religiously remove the shaft every 6 months and apply never seize to the shaft.
I have been using the same bolt for 16 years and a gentle tap with a small sledgehammer, it pops right out.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

-----Original Message-----
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of David Vogel
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2022 7:27 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Machining AMEL-specific tools in NZ (outhaul puller PLUS wrench for the rudder-post-packing nut)

Hi all,

OK, I have some indicative numbers – it seems only 2 or 3 potentially for the puller for the main-outhaul.

Ross Hickey, SM#356, IntrepidKiwi
Raul Schleier, SM#344, SeaBean

I have no idea yet of the cost, as businesses here in WHargarie are just again winding up for the New year, and hence I also am just starting the contact-research on this. As there will be only 2 or 3 units, I would not expect that it will be worthwhile to go to the trouble (and cost) of establishing a CAD/CAM file for subsequent orders. Although I will research this lightly, I presently expect that whatever we do will be hand-crafted as ‘one-offs’.

I’ll keep you posted once I have an idea of the cost and timings – I’ll go first to the guy who did the copper keel grounding straps (where we did get a small economy of scale, mainly for the freight).

Regarding design details, I will template off what I have seen before on (or as referred to by) this forum, et al.

BTW, I did try a conventional gear-puller for the extracting the axle for the line-handling-winch from the main-outhaul gearbox, and it was simply not up to the task; hence why I am getting a special tool made up.

I am also looking at getting a wrench made up specifically for the packing-nut on the rudder shaft gland. Anyone interested in this???

Best,

David
SM#396, Perigee
Town Basin, Whangarei

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io" <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io>
Reply-To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, 15 January 2022 at 7:54 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Machining AMEL-specific tools in NZ

Hi David,

We may also be interested the specific Amel main outhaul winch puller if one can be manufactured. Can you please advise of of cost and design details.

Ross Hickey
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently cruising Turkey
+++

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Raul Schleier <raul.schleier@gmail.com>
Reply-To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, 15 January 2022 at 5:21 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Machining AMEL-specific tools in NZ

Hi David,
I’d be keen to join in on this if I’m not too late. I just pulled mine borrowing a home made puller from my dock neighbour. I’m planning to service the outhaul shaft regularly from now onwards so that it doesn’t stick but I will still likely need a puller some day.
We’re just down the creek in Marsden Cove Marina if we’re not out
Email: raul “at” seabean.nz
SM2k#344, SeaBean
+++

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 2:00 AM, David Vogel <david.vogel@westnet.com.au> wrote:
Calling all SM owners in NZ.

Having done a small run of the copper grounding straps for the grey-water bilge, and been happy with the results, I am now planning on getting some AMEL-specific tools machined - for example, the puller for the main-outhaul line-handling winch/motor/gearbox assembly.

It may be possible to come to some kind of economy-of-scale arrangement with the fabricator/s. Even if not, if you have any hints or tips on where to go / who to use, I would be interested to hear; or, if you're wanting to bolster your tool-kit with that special nick-knack ...

If you’re interested in getting involved, please get back to me via this forum; I would then plan to take the discussion off-line for resolving the nitty-gritty.

Thanks, and best to all,

David
SM#396, Perigee
Town-Basin, Whangarei

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Turkey

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.