Re: Check your GPS / AIS devices. Some of them failed on Jan 2, 2022 due to the "GPS Rollover" bug

Scott SV Tengah

Correct, it has to do with flow control You have to jumper, on the PC side:

pins 4 (DTR) and 6 (DSR)

pins 7 (RTS) and 8 (CTS)

I did not attempt it because we are in the Tuamotus right now and I use output from my GP-150 to feed opencpn and navigate via satellite overlays. The data from the GP-150 is noticeably superior to any other GPS device onboard and I need all the precision I can get in some of these bommie fields!

I believe it requires some pretty precision soldering on the DB9 connector. Unless you think there’s a different way to achieve it? Keep in mind the DB9 then goes through a serial-usb converter before going to my computer, so no guarantee that the converter will correctly translate the modified signals.

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Dean Gillies <stella@...>
Reply-To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 11:44 AM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Check your GPS / AIS devices. Some of them failed on Jan 2, 2022 due to the "GPS Rollover" bug

Scott,
"It turns out you need to jumper 2 pairs of pins in the DB9/serial/rs232 port"

I'm assuming that the problem is hardware flow control, which can be bypassed in the wiring with various techniques. Which pins did you jump to make it work?
thanks
Dean 
SV Stella
A54-154

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.