Insurance Comparison

Bill Kinney

We have found that the number of insurance underwriters is (slowly!) growing again after so many beat a hasty retreat from the market after the disaster that was the 2019 hurricane season in the Caribbean.

We are especially difficult customers since we live aboard full time, are USA flagged, and have no fixed home port.  But we did manage to get at least two new quotes this year.  Unfortunately, one was prohibitive in cost, and the second, while apparently price competitive, was, to our standard, a terrible policy.  We do have one more iron in the fire, but at this point it looks like we will be sticking with our current underwriters as the best value, albeit not cheap.

You can see our evaluation here: https://fetchinketch.net/boat_thoughts/insurance-good-bad-and-ugly/

We have deliberately avoided using names in this discussion. Policies are highly individualized, and the same company might quote you something very different than they did us. This is more about letting you know what to look for when you read a policy. The last thing you need is to find out that your coverage is way more restricted than you thought AFTER you have a claim...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL, USA