Re: Raising Boot Stripe

Alan Leslie

I don't want to rain on anyone's party, but......
Elyse sat stern down before the solar arch was put on.....I don't think I've ever seen an SM that floated on it's lines, they are all stern down, unless someone has lasered the waterline and painted it to the new slope. We raised the waterline by the same amount all round (simpler) which is why she now looks more bow up than before.
I think the issue particularly with SM2Ks is the bigger generator and the extra batteries to balance the boat so it doesn't list to port. All these heavy items are aft of the pitch centre and so it sits stern down....because Amel didn't change the waterline to reflect the additional weight.
Regarding putting extra weight in the bow of the boat to counter the "extra weight" aft, that's not a good idea - it increases the moment about the pitch centre and leads to....pitching.
We try to sail with the water tank nearly full - why?, because that weight is below the waterline, on the centre line and more or less at the pitch centre, so it adds to stability, (basically increases the keel ballast) particularly sailing upwind - and we have done a lot of that.
So, all in all, we are happy that we raised the waterline a bit - to keep the stern clean.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437