Re: LITHIUM BATTERIES - INSURANCE - NIGEL CALDER

Stephen Davis

Thank you for sharing the article.  I installed lithium batteries a little over a year ago, and it has been one of the best upgrades we have done to the boat for our off the grid cruising. We needed new insurance last November, and we’re turned down by the Gowrie Group due to our lithium batteries. I was told they are working on a standard for boats with lithium batteries, but that standard would almost certainly exclude boats with a owner installed system. It seems a shame that a knowledgeable owner is excluded, but an installer who may or may not be as talented would not be. As it turns out, we were able to get good coverage from Topsail, and they have no issues with Lithium.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM72, Mazatlan, Mexico