Re: LITHIUM BATTERIES - INSURANCE - NIGEL CALDER

david bruce

We also have Topsail and when I consulted with them (4-6 most. ago) about adding lithium batteries I was told by the insurance broker that the underwriter said they were looking into a policy for Lithium batteries and that they would continue to cover us (if we switched to them) HOWEVER if a fire were caused by the lithium batteries, that it would not be a covered loss.  Since I was just inquiring and do not have lithium on Liesse, it was of no matter, but if I were say, the lucky owner of Aloha ;)  I might inquire again specifically asking about coverage for a battery related fire event, just to be sure it would be covered.

Dave Bruce
Liesse
SN006
Preveza, Greece

On 26 Jan 2022, at 6:24 PM, Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

Thank you for sharing the article.  I installed lithium batteries a little over a year ago, and it has been one of the best upgrades we have done to the boat for our off the grid cruising. We needed new insurance last November, and we’re turned down by the Gowrie Group due to our lithium batteries. I was told they are working on a standard for boats with lithium batteries, but that standard would almost certainly exclude boats with a owner installed system. It seems a shame that a knowledgeable owner is excluded, but an installer who may or may not be as talented would not be. As it turns out, we were able to get good coverage from Topsail, and they have no issues with Lithium.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM72, Mazatlan, Mexico