Re: Machining AMEL-specific tools in NZ (outhaul puller PLUS wrench for the rudder-post-packing nut)

David Vogel

Hi Alan,

Yes, thanks, the mails are coming through again. For the info of anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. I went through the process on the forum website, to stop the emails bouncing. I was also in dialogue with my ISP, to indicate that the IO/AMEL Forum point-of-origin for the emails was a "white" source, and not to be black-listed. I don’t know what changed, but something did, and the emails started to come through again.

I am now catching up with the backlog from the site.

ALAN: I'll put you on the list for both pieces.

ALL >>> STATUS update: YES, I can get the spanner/wrench made, no problem, but the only firm quote thus far gives a cost of over NZD150- (per unit, minimum of four pieces). Various other estimates are between $120- to $220- (each), but with no firm commitment - basically, metal workers here are not hungry for work, there is little competition, so can name their own terms. Anyway, I think $150- is simply untenable. So, I am continuing to try both bigger and smaller machine-shops, in order to find an improvement. I know I could make it myself, and it would be a simple thing, IF I had a workshop and metal working tools at my disposal (like I did when I had a land-base in my home town & country many years ago). All those who permanently live-aboard, or who are in an unfamiliar country, will appreciate that sometimes finding the right supplier can take a surprising amount of time and effort. But it is all the more worthwhile when you do finally 'crack the code'. Once I have something that is both tangible and reasonable, I'll repost an update to finalise numbers.

Best to all,

David
SM#396, Perigee

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, 12 February 2022 at 11:01 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Machining AMEL-specific tools in NZ (outhaul puller PLUS wrench for the rudder-post-packing nut)

David,
Are your mails sorted now?
Please put me on the list for a packing nut wrench as well as a boom shaft puller.
Thanks
Best
Alan
Elyse SM437, Opua NZ

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.