Re: Introduction and question wrt stay-sail and running rigging

Chris Paul

Hi Thomas,
Here is a photo of the top of the staysail. It is attached at the same height as the upper spreader. The running backstays are attached to the inside of the upper spreader.

On my other (smaller) cutters the staysail was particularly useful when used in conjunction with a high cut jib.  This setup worked really well from about 15kn up wind & reaching and also poled out in higher winds. Changing headsail on the run is a big task so I rarely used the high cut jib.

Inline image

Regards,
Chris Paul
SV GLAZIG
SM2000 #352
Currently at Opua NZ

On Thursday, 3 March 2022, 09:02:22 pm NZDT, Thomas Wink <poedts@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,

Interesting to see your setup. I agree with your concerns.. you might try upwind performance with the stay sail. For my 46ft Maramu the performance is great above 20kts of true wind. Very smooth sailing and just a bit more angle on the tacks. My staysail is a 95% jib, so pretty small, and easy to handle. You might want to try it out first to see if there is any benefit..

How about the mast fittings? Do you have any pictures on that?

Best regards,
Thomas

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 4:54 AM Chris Paul via groups.io <chris__paul=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Thomas,

See Attached word document for my inner forestay set up.

Hope this helps you Thomas.
Any comments, improvements, concerns whatever please reply with your thoughts.

Chris Paul
SV GLAZIG
SM2000 #352
Currently at Opua NZ