Re: [Amel] the art of "hoving to"

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all, I have come in at the end of this discussion but my Amel hand book recomends 3 times a day charging for one and a half to two hours a time. When at sea they suggest at least 6 hours charging a day.
Cheers
Danny and Yvonne SM 299 Ocean Pearl

--- On Fri, 5/2/10, Iv Pepe <iv_pepe@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel] the art of "hoving to"
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, 5 February, 2010, 10:20 AM

Hi ,Kent,
I have a SM223 with 105hp tamd22 and 60A alternator,you  my have the same engin? My problem is
having a daily daily consumtiopn abb 150Ah, charging twice a day one hr.I get in batteries not more then 70 -75 A.After 3-4 days my batterie bank is abb,50% empty!!
Pls explain how youi manage with this.
SM223 Fortuna
Iv

____________ _________ _________ __
De: Kent Robertson <karkauai@yahoo. com>
Para: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com
Enviado: sáb,12 diciembre, 2009 06:28
Asunto: [Amel] the art of "hoving to"

Hi, John, et al,
I tried heaving-to while waiting to come into St Thomas.  We were in 25kt winds and 4-6 ft seas.  With the main and jib (135%) each at about 1 "reef" the motion was comfortable, but the bow kept dropping off and I sailed out of my "slick" at about 1.5kts.  When I brought out the mizzen and finally rolled up the jib completely she sat at the prescribed "50degrees" off the wind, but still made enough headway that I sailed out of the slick.  It was fine for the purpose this time, but if I understand correctly, I want to be slipping directly downwind to keep the slick between me and the oncoming waves if I'm in a breaking sea (a la the Pardee's).Anyone with an SM who's figured out how to do that without deploying a sea anchor off the side of the boat?

Thanks,
Kent
SM 243
"Kristy"

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.