Re: tb/JORDAN DRGUE/AYOG

I only know one owner who has deployed a Jordon Drogue and he has done it more than one time.

My plan (never tested in realistic conditions) was to deploy it from its duffel bag laying on the floor of the aft lazarrette, while I was standing on the same floor with the lid tied securely open. I had the purpose-made loops for the drogue's bridle to attach to the 2 large aft cleats and the bitter end of the chain laid on top of the flaked drogue. My plan was to attach the bridle ends to the 2 cleats, then payout the end with the chain, being prepared for the payout to go as fast as the boat was traveling. We practiced this in a marina and I realize it was not in realistic conditions. You should check your bridle's alignment from the cleats through any fairleads, the backstay(s), and anything else added such as an arch or davits.

I suggest that you do not get the drogue wet. There is a 99+% chance that you will sell this drogue. Although it is priceless if you need it, when you sell it and it has never been wet, you will sell it for more.
Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 3:26 PM Chuck_Kim_Joy <clacey9@...> wrote:
Hi all,
Let me ask when is one supposed to rigg this beast. If the weather and seas are in such a state to require a JSD and you are only two then you must crawl out of your safe enclosure to rigg. Take it out of the bag, lay it out, run lines to multiple cleats, toss it in and hope it doesn't tangle up in a heap all while blowing F10 with 50 foot seas.
I hate sailing with anything on deck. You either attach, take out of bag and secure it somehow for easy deployment before you sail and hope you don't trip over it or lose it overboard on your crossing or plan and pray you never experience those conditions. I own one they're big and have rolled it out on the dock a few times to inspect. Lots of rope and little bits to tangle up. I will do everything in my power and wallet (weather routing) to not be in that position. By the way. I have read Kimberlite hurricane experience. Terrifying!

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 3:56 PM Ruslan Osmonov <rosmonov@...> wrote:
Hi Danny, totally agree on the shock loads and need for stretch. In my mind I was thinking about the metal shock absorber for this kind of scenario, not sure if I would trust nylon though. I feel like it has to be pretty thick piece to withstand the loads during the pulls.