Porter McRoberts

Great thread as usual on the JSD.
1. Included below is a photo of the dyneema sling "conception." Caveat: it needs to be tied so that it meets the yoke of the JSD and then balanced so that the forced is shared as equally as possible between the two cleats.  This angle may be on the inside of the railing, and of course chafe protection would be paramount.
2. Thoughts re the static nature of dyneema: 1. Certainly a dynamic loading process would reduce loading moment forces on the cleats, however I do not believe static dyneema would INCREASE the loading moments from just attaching the yoke to the cleat directly.
3. A concern I have is that with the yawing of the ship it would be possible to apply more force to one or the other cleat at any one time. Love to think of a solution for that other than the knot at the end of the sling. A large, and polished metal shackle?
4.  We stow the JSD in the bow lazarette, to counterbalance the arch on the stern, outboard in the the aft laz.
5.  Our plan has been to if heavy weather threatens or if the journey is a potentially risky one: move the JSD to the poop deck next to the dinghy ready to go.  Thats where we kept it going to NZ from Tonga. 
6. Avoid leaving at a time (using great weather routing for decision making, or sailing in the wrong ocean at the wrong time of year: the smartest of moves.

Lastly a question: The penultimate and smaller of the two aft cleats (the more forward one) is next to the chain plate.  Can the chain plate take lateral loads?  Obviously it's setup for vertical loads.

Thank you and love all the thinking,

Porter et Helen
A54-152 IBIS
Newcastle, AUS.

On Mar 19, 2022, at 1:45 PM, Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

The aft lazarette is the last place you would want to keep the drogue.
I would the port locker.
We were pooped but numerous waves on Kimberlite.
Imagine being in the lazarette when a wave decides to break over you in an open lazarette.
Fair Winds
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376
From: On Behalf Of Chuck_Kim_Joy
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2022 6:12 PM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] tb/JORDAN DRGUE/AYOG
It might give an Amel owner a reason to pause when considering a modification of the stern. The PO of Joy added a life boat bracket while well done and a preferable location for the life boat it adds complexity to the unobstructed stern. That plus back stays plus solar arch mountings and I will have to thread the drogue and chaffe be damned. Also my laz (during passage) is home to 2 engines, 10 fenders, a bucket of snorkel gear, a 200' tow rope and a few other odds and ends. Before my Atlantic crossing I will dig it out, inspect and lay it on the top. The Admiral wants it on deck at the stern. She didn't win that one. 
Chuck and Kim 
Joy SM 388 
On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 5:54 PM Courtney Gorman via <> wrote:
One thing to consider our boat take a licking and keep on Ticking.  Cindy and I’s first real passage got a bit crazy.  Forecast 18-22kts out of the north west sounded perfect for our passage Brunswick to Puerto Rico 🇵🇷……….well as things go ended up 35-45 kts out of the East South East with 20+ seas.  No fun for us but Trippin did fine … no Great.  I feel as long as you avoid a major storm your drogue like mine will stay dry.  Like insurance must have but hopefully never use.
Cheers 🥂 
Secret Harbour


On Mar 18, 2022, at 5:04 PM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Chuck
I will do everything in my power and wallet (weather routing) to not be in that position
That’s reflects EXACTLY the point I was trying to make in the first sentence of my reply to Ruslan yday.
I do realize having a longer than 6 day passage it is almost impossible to predict your weather but still believe (dream???) that with 3 times a day weather updates via satellite should give me a chance to avoid extreme weather.
Best Regards Teun
SV AMELIT  A54  #128
March 18, 2022 13:59:23
You can follow AMELIT via this link:
From: <> On Behalf Of Chuck_Kim_Joy via
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2022 13:25
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] tb/JORDAN DRGUE/AYOG
Hi all,
Let me ask when is one supposed to rigg this beast. If the weather and seas are in such a state to require a JSD and you are only two then you must crawl out of your safe enclosure to rigg. Take it out of the bag, lay it out, run lines to multiple cleats, toss it in and hope it doesn't tangle up in a heap all while blowing F10 with 50 foot seas. 
I hate sailing with anything on deck. You either attach, take out of bag and secure it somehow for easy deployment before you sail and hope you don't trip over it or lose it overboard on your crossing or plan and pray you never experience those conditions. I own one they're big and have rolled it out on the dock a few times to inspect. Lots of rope and little bits to tangle up. I will do everything in my power and wallet (weather routing) to not be in that position. By the way. I have read Kimberlite hurricane experience. Terrifying!
On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 3:56 PM Ruslan Osmonov <rosmonov@...> wrote:
Hi Danny, totally agree on the shock loads and need for stretch. In my mind I was thinking about the metal shock absorber for this kind of scenario, not sure if I would trust nylon though. I feel like it has to be pretty thick piece to withstand the loads during the pulls.  

Join { to automatically receive all group messages.