Re: Sharki Rig & Cabin top paint

milnchris <no_reply@...>

Many thanks for the advice.
Regards
Millie & Chris
--- In amelyachtowners@..., "closereach"
<closereach@y...> wrote:
Millie and Chris,
In the summer of 2001 I unstepped both masts and replaced all the
rigging. After restepping, the way I have tensioned the rig has
been
progressively to sail to stronger winds. While on one tack I'll
tighten up on the loose shrouds, tack, then do the same to the
other
side. All the time, of course, checking that the mast stays
perfectly in column. If not, I'll tighten a bit more on the
opposite
side that the top of the mast is bending off to. Do this first in
light winds, then 10 to 15 knots then 15 to 20 knots.
Concerning the headstay or backstay, I don't have any systematic
way
to go about that other than trying to minimize the sag in the
headstay foil (and of course keeping the mast in column!).

The welded 'tangs' on our Nirvana masts keep the spreaders at a
particular angle. Sounds like you have something different. The
angle does manner, as you want the spreaders to bisect the angle
the
shrouds make from the mast attachment tang to the chainplate. They
should never droop down.

We have a bit of gelcoat on the aft cabin top flake off over time
so
we sanded this area down and applied the nonskid material
Treadmaster SP. It's worked great--still non-skid but much much
more
human-friendly than the standard Treadmaster pattern.

Hope that helps.

Richard
Xanareva, sharki #127