Re: Water tank gelcoat

Mark Erdos

Has anyone ever had problems with osmosis occurring from the inside of the boat because of the water tank?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

On 3/23/2022 11:56 PM, James Alton via groups.io wrote:
Kim,

   The gelcoat in our water tank has some checks in it and is in places flaking away.  In general, if your boat is one of those that is developing blisters elsewhere such as the bottom, then I would consider epoxy sealing the inside of the tank, and yes it would be a pretty horrible job as part or all of the top of the tank would need to be cut away for access!   If your boat is blister free as ours is  I would just do a good clean up on the tank and vacuum out any loose chips, if the laminate were blister prone you would see them by now.  I don't understand the reason for painting the keel bolts/nuts.  Unlike steel, stainless/Inox needs to be exposed to O2 in order to develop the oxide to protect itself.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220