Re: Santorin helm seat support pipe loose

Craig Briggs

So I finally got around to trying to fix the seat wobble. Cutting through the insulation in the engine room under the seat I found two bolts going through a plate welded to the bottom of the seat pipe (I could see the circular discoloration of the weld on the plate). When I tried to tighten the bolts I could hear some "crunching" as though there was maybe a broken rusted bracket or something into which the bolts were fastened. One bolt seemed to tighten but the other just turned and I could hear something rotating as I turned the bolt. The one that seemed to tighten actually became wobbly and would not tighten further.

Before I go to cutting an access hole in the pyramidal fiberglass base of the post, does anyone know what the actual structure is inside of it? My guess is Amel may have used a plain steel threaded backing plate embedded in the fiberglass floor that is inside the pyramid base. Water then has seeped down the seat post, where the sealant has cracked over the years, and rusted out the plate. Many of us have had that happen (Bill Rouse when he owned Bebe had it on his engine room hatch, which swelled the GRP, I've had it on a stanchion base that actually cracked the gunnel open, etc.)

Any insights will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL