Re: Qsails

The A54 is close to the SM, but not the same. SM is on TOP, A54 is on BOTTOM (In Meters):
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 7:17 PM David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:
Re: Can anyone advise if the Main Sail on an Amel 54 will fit on an Amel Super Maramu?

Hi Barry & Penny,

When we bought SM#396, she was fitted with near-new sails by QuantumSails, with vertical battens in both the main and mizzen - somewhat unusual, but she sailed well, so (being a first-time owner) I didn't think to investigate further at that time.

Pertinent to your inquiry, I subsequently discovered that the battens were stamped with "AMEL54", and we also later found an invoice hidden deep in the boat documentation indicating a sail-purchase for AMEL 54 sails.  Inquiring back to Quantum USA in person, even with the individual number for each sail, I never could get a definitive answer as to the provenance of the order, so it is all bit of a mystery.

Anyway, on the basis of the battens and invoice, I would say we have A54 sails.

BTW, the battens in both main and mizzen have since been removed, and leeches for all sails recut.

Referring to the attached, based on sail-area alone, it would seem feasible to use a sail for an A54 on an SM - however I do not have the leech, luff and foot dimensions of the 54, for an exact comparison.

Hope this helps in the interim,

Best,

David
SM#396,
Undergoing refit, Whangarei, NZ

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Barry Connor via groups.io" <connor_barry=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, 13 April 2022 at 8:45 am
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Qsails

Hi All,

I am still looking to replace my Genoa after my terrible experience with QSails. Any suggestions on a reliable sail maker would be appreciated. I still want the original material "Hydra-Net".

On another question:

Can anyone advise if the Main Sail on an Amel 54 will fit on an Amel Super Maramu?

Very Best

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II'
Amel 54.  #17
Rodney Bay
St Lucia

On Wednesday, March 9, 2022, 02:31:53 PM AST, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

All,

I learned this today from a client who ordered HydraNet from Incidence Sails. BTW, his sails were delayed by Incidence Sails because of delivery issues from Dimension Polyant.

Comment from Incidence regarding Nautospere:
The test we did with Nautosphere showed us that this material was not as good as the Hydranet, more deformation because of the cross-cut, that is the reason why we don’t use this fabric. We know they have improved it a bit, we will have to redo some tests, but as this material did not reach our standards we prefer not to use it.

The above comment seems logical and is from a credible source.

CW Bill Rouse
http://amelownersyachtschool.com/
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550