Re: Fridge/freezer cooling

Barry Connor

Hi Bill, Totally agree, I had a mild acid wash done to clear my refrigeration and a/c pipes last year in Le Marin, done by Caraibe Refrigeration.
Lots of little shell bits came out. First time it was done in 15 years.
The purity of your drinking water is very important.
On another point: can you tell me if Incidences, La Rochelle are making HydraNet sails for individual sail order? If so. Can we still get your special price?
Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  #17
Rodney Bay
St Lucia

On Apr 26, 2022, at 10:03 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Nick,

I believe that Amel must believe that they made a mistake when they introduced the A54 with a direct seawater heat exchange for the refrigeration system. Of course, the efficiency argument won the day, but Henri wasn't participating enough to make the practical trouble-free argument. I doubt that anyone participating in that mistake will admit it. The direct seawater heat exchange was abandoned by Amel with the introduction of the A55. The A55 used an indirect seawater exchange with keel coolers, eliminating the "growth in the lines" issue.

If you ask Veco, the manufacturer of your system, if you can use drinking water for heat exchange, they will tell you, NO. The issue is that the heat exchange water circuit for the direct seawater heat exchange is NOT certified for human consumption. Frankly, the issue could be that it was never tested, OR it can be a real hazard. You will find that the only thing people can tell you that have done this is that it works great, it tastes fine, it has not made me sick, and/or nobody has died. Deadly things like lead poisoning creep into the body with no immediate side effects. This is the reason when people ask me, I say I do not recommend using drinking water for refrigeration heat exchange.

The bottom line is that human consumption testing has not been done on the seawater circuit.

Ask yourself if you want to take the health risk to yourself and your crew to reduce the required maintenance.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 3:30 AM Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am thinking about using the tank water for the fridge cooling.
I know a number of Amels have done this.
The idea would be to T off the pipe that supplies water to the freshwater pressure pump and return the water to the tank ?? Maybe via the water maker product feed?
Wondering what others have done.

Why would I do this?

1. There is shell growth that clogs up the circulating pump valves using sea water. This would solve the issue, and maybe prolong pump life.
2. I can run a fridge whilst out of the water at least temporarily.
3. Fresh water is less corrosive than sea water so maybe the fridge cupronickel cooling coil will last longer.
4. When the pump fails and one needs to change it, only fresh water is spilled in the engine room.

What are the disadvantages?
Struggling to see a downside…

Kind regards
Nick
Amelia (AML54-019) and on my way to Athens and Leros