Re: Amel lost its mast - D1?

Justin Maguire

Scott - I agree! We shouldn’t pretend that Amel is perfect. There are lots of little things that represent interesting or problematic choices.. just as there are on many boats. It’s Also why we se so many good tips about modifications and or upgrades from real world practical experience by owners.

That said, the 50’s and 60’s are the first boats with a bowsprit that has a furling gennaker / code zero from the factory.. so all previous amel models aren’t apples to apples comparisons.

I’ve spoken with amel directly in this…

I’m one of at least five 50’s that I know of that damaged their forestay due to the light wind halyard either not being properly stored (ie. On the starboard side by the shrouds vs. on the bowsprit) or by leaving the halyard tension too slack (either stored on the bowsprit or with the sail up and furled)…

The angle of attack is such that making these mistakes can easily result in a halyard wrap that will damage the forestay.

Personally I don’t see this as a design flaw per se, but rather operator misuse. In my case, due to covid I never got my handover week in La Rochelle and so the direction regarding how to use this was never received. I do wish this was covered specifically and
With warning in my manual which it isn’t so that’s definitely an area for improvement.

If you store the halyard on the starboard side when not in use (as directed by Amel) you won’t have an issue.

And when furling the light wind sail the halyard tension must be full on as directed by amel… this will also remove the issue.

YMMV

-Justin

On Apr 28, 2022, at 09:34, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

I’m going to agree with Bruno here.

This may not be a popular opinion, but Amel is not perfect. I can tell you on my 54, there are definite design faults, directly in contradiction with ISO and ABYC.

I love my boat overall but I will be the first to admit that Amel screws up and while it’s tempting to defend your purchase, when you’re in the middle of the ocean and it’s raging and something breaks, your ego means very little.

How many Amels are out there with powered furling headsails? At least 400 SMs and around 200 54s and I don’t know how many 55s and 64s. Has anyone heard of one of these boats losing their mast due to a halyard wrap? Judging from how many damn Amels (ha happy to see you all) are here in French Polynesia, there have been many many sea miles sailed by those 600+ Amels, so I would guess that at least one would have such an issue. Further, how many non-Amel powered furling headsail boats are there out there? Dismasting is a major event and we’d certainly hear about it.

It’d be interesting to see the report. Was it done by a disinterested third party?

Now for the sake of discussion, let’s assume it was related to a halyard wrap.  I believe I read once that the 50 and 60 don’t come with the halyard swivel “horns”? Further, assuming it was related to a halyard wrap and the design is similar to the previous models, I would hope we can discuss and learn from this event to prevent this from happening to others vs. just blaming user error and moving on.

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Bruno COTTE <cotte.bruno@...>
Date: Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 4:47 AM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel lost its mast - D1?

Not logical

You have fuse

And such a problem doesn’t occur when you loose the forestay like this

I don’t believe this conclusion

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 28 avr. 2022 à 15:42, Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt@...> a écrit :

The final investigative report is in.
The mast failure occurred because of a halyard wrap with the Genoa furler.
This is a known issue on any boat with a powered furler.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69