Re: modified stern rail on 54 to carry drum (Ankarolina on a Santorin)

Nick Newington

On my 54

I like to drop the port bow anchor where I want it and dump all the chain and rode including the bitter end and mark with a buoy.
Then I anchor with the bow anchor and back up towards the buoyed stern anchor and pick it up with a boat hook then centre up between the two.

Alternatively do the dinghy drop:
Anchor as normal with starboard bow anchor then drop the port second anchor to the water and attach a large fender with a slip to the anchor and dump the rest of the rode and chain in the dinghy including the bitter end. Then dinghy to the chosen spot for the stern anchor. Let slip the anchor so it sinks and pay out the chain and rode. Dinghy to the big boat.

All a bit of work but we have big boats and big anchors. Too heavy to lift….
Nick
Swinging to a single anchor in Fethiye Turkey.

AML 54-019

On 9 May 2022, at 15:42, Dean Gillies <stella@...> wrote:

That looks like a good setup Craig, thanks for sharing the pics.

On my 54 I have two anchors on the bow, and have used a similar maneouvre to what you describe, ie dropping the main bow anchor, letting out all chain while motoring backward, then dropping the second anchor (from the bow) whilst attempting to move forward again. When I've moved far enough forward I put a chain hook on the stern anchor chain and use a short rope rode to bring over the stern, and the stern anchor chain runs in a catenary under the boat. This process is not as straightforward as it might sound, especially in a breeze.

Has anyone else found a reliable process to deploy a stern anchor using the powered secondary bower anchor?
Maybe having a lightweight anchor manhandled over the stern is a simpler solution. I already have an ankorlina reel for shore ties, so all I need is the FX.

--
Dean Gillies
SV Stella *****,  Amel 54-154