Re: modified stern rail on 54 to carry drum (Ankarolina on a Santorin)

Scott SV Tengah

We have used the port bow anchor twice as a stern anchor in the last few weeks here in the Marquesas. I don't love it.

In both instances, I took the dinghy up to the bow and the admiral drops the port Delta anchor (31kg?) and all the chain and rode into the dinghy, leaving the bitter end still connected to the chain locker. I then backup the dinghy to the desired drop location, letting the rode fall out as I backup. Once the 10mm stainless chain section goes over the dinghy tubes, it's a pain to control the drop speed. Then I manhandle that Delta anchor over the side of the dinghy! The rode is then cleated off to the port stern cleat and then run along the plastic channel just outboard of the stanchions on a 54 to the port windlass. Even more complicated is that the stainless rub rail acts like a bit of a knife on the stern rode, so I take another line and attach it to the stern rode via an icicle hitch and put chafe protection on it and use that as a snubber.

What is much more of a pain is retrieving the port (stern) anchor. Unless you happen to get wind that pulls you towards the stern anchor perfectly, you are at risk of wrapping the rode around the keel as you release starboard anchor chain and start backing up. Because I feared getting the rode into the prop, I literally pulled the boat backwards using the stern rode with a half turn on the port stern cleat.

That damn 3 strand rode does not like to fall smoothly down the hawsepipe upon retrieval so the admiral needs to be in the bow locker operating the windlass AND pulling the 3strand down from below. Eventually the rode/chain fell out of the plastic channel and went underwater and wrapped around the keel as the boat went sideways in the current/ wind on the beam. Thankfully I was not using the motor/prop. This happened to us in Ua Pou.

Here in the Marquesas, sourcing a proper stern anchor setup is not easy and frankly, I don't expect to use it that much in the future, so we'll work with what we have.

An alternative way to retrieve port/stern anchor is to use the trip line/float and attach it to the dinghy painter and trip then pull the anchor towards the big boat bow to eliminate the risk of wrapping the keel.

What I may try the next time we deploy the stern anchor using the port bow anchor is to either float the anchor using a fender as Nick described or just attach it to the painter and backup, again using a snap shackle or slip and backup in the dinghy to our desired drop position. I think I'll disconnect the port rode from the bow locker so that if we need to leave in a hurry, we can just uncleat it vs. cutting the rode.

For retrieval, another potential way is to just completely disconnect the rode from the boat, coil it and temporarily attach it to the anchor float we generally use to mark the stern anchor position. Then we'll move big boat over, reconnect the rode and haul it up.

Everything mentioned gets more complicated if its breezy, of course.

In summary, if you anticipate stern anchoring a lot (we've done it twice in 4 years and 27 thousand miles), get a better setup. But based on others' comments, we are in one of the few places we'll seriously need a stern anchor, so we'll find a way to make do with the twin bow anchors.

Will report later on whether my ideas worked.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69