locked Re: tb/AMEL 54 outhaul protector burn out Mid Atlantic/AYOG + COVID

karkauai

Hi Bill.  The manual furler is easy to use when the motor is disconnected from the foil.  I completely refurbished it a few years ago, and found it almost pristine. The foil turns easily by hand.

I'm not sure how to check the voltage at the motor, as it's connections are made deep within the motor.  I had the motors (old and new) bench tested by an alternator shop and they said everything looked good, although they didn't have a way to test it under load.  The fact that cutting off 24" of cable helped performance some seemed to indicate that the cable was the problem.
I guess after 12 years,  I'm still a novice at electricity, but if the cable delivers less voltage, won't the motor use more amperage?
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY