locked Re: tb/AMEL 54 outhaul protector burn out Mid Atlantic/AYOG + COVID

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kent, over the years I gave found the first place to check sail control motor malfunction is the  brushes. They choke up with carbon dust and stick. Usually it causes total non functioning so recently when my out haul was going slow I looked every where else, eg excessive load to no avail. When I finally checked the brushes I found all four were stuck. Freed and cleaned them. Bingo. That is the first time I have had a " go slow" rather than a stoppage caused by  brush sticking. At about the same time the furler motor stopped, theres a coincidence, in its case just one brush was stuck.
Kind regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 18/05/2022 15:07 karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

 Hi Amel cousins,
Kristy's Main furler has been getting weaker until it finally would fuel under any load at all. It still turns when disconnected from the foil, no noise. The sail furls manually with normal resistance using the winch handle.
I swapped the solenoids for the  furler and outhaul without any change..I swapped the motor out for a new one from Amel.. same issue.  Under load my ammeter on the cable to the motor reads 100+A.voltage output from the solenoids reads 26.8v. Resistance in the cables reads 0 Ohms
.
I cut both ends off of the cables to redo what appeared to be well-crumped fittings, and noticed that the copper was no longer shiny.  After cutting another and then another 6 inches off both ends of the wires, I never found shiny copper wire.  I recrimped on new fittings and it runs better, but still nothing like before.

I feel pretty certain that the cable is bad, through and through.  I will replace the cables for both outhaul and furler this week and let you know if that solves the mystery.  Could that be what is causing Arno's problem?

I haven't posted it yet, because I haven't swapped the cable out yet to confirm that was the problem.

COVID
 I just came down with flu-like symptoms and tested + for Covid. Fever, cough and rip-roaring headache and muscle pain Sunday, started Ivermectin/Hydroxychloroquin/Vit D³&C/ aspirin/Quercitin regimen Sunday afternoon, and by Mon AM was free of Fever, headache, and muscle pain. Now just a mild cough and tired.  Those "horse dewormers" and other banned off-label meds worked wonders on this unvaccinated sailor, as they have on millions of others in Africa and India.

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY