Re: Mizzen Balooner falls

Mark Erdos

Hi JP,

Very good advice.

When the riggers did work on our boat, they asked to remove the mizzen
sail. They ran alonger line and used the internal halyard rather than
the external one. It took them less than 10 minutes to do this. This
prevented the scenio you discribe. They said they avoid external
halyards at all cost. After talkingg to them about people they have
known to be hurt, I can't blame them for taking a little extra time to
be safe. Also, they snapped on with a safety line as they worked -
something I see very few people do.

Thanks for sharing. You might have saved someone from being badly hurt.

Mark

On 5/22/22, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

Sailing with 10/12 kt downwind, Jib, Mizzen and the mizzen balloner. Calm
sea.suddenly the mizzen balloner falls into the water!

I retracted the sail and found that the halyard block that is on top of the
mizzen mast fell off! Inspecting the block, it is intact, but without the
shackle that holds it to the mast. It could have been the shackle pin that
broke, or there was a material failure in the fastening. I had inspected
everything 6 months ago. Thank God the block didn't come down with me
hanging! I report this as a warning to the group, because when we have to
climb the mizzen mast, we don't have another block with a cable for
Security. I would like suggestions from the group on how to reinstall the
block and install another one with a different cable? Remembering that there
is no other cable to climb to the top of the mast. Will I need to remove the
mast to do this?

Thanks in advance

JP

--