Generator not starting

Nicolas Klene

Hello everybody
I thought I had already posted this ,but I cannot see it ?
Trying to start the generator ,I didn’t get even a cough, just a relay noise.
The engine started fine ,and with the engine running the gene started !
Testing the one year old engine battery revealed poor charge.
my question is as follow : Is there a hidden generator battery somewhere or only one battery starting both the engine and the gene?
If somebody has a way off keeping this 12V batterie charged preferably with solar power ,I would be delighted to be enlightened !!!
As always thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge
safe sailing & keep well
Nicolas
--
Nicolas Klene