Re: laixoi@me.com

David Dickman

Hi all,
Recently had similar experience. Volvo penta tech in Martinique (Ludovic at Ids) tells me it is because Oman has glow plugs that draw a lot of current. D3 engine being common rail does not need as much. This, engine will start with less battery charge than Onan.

Best david
Galini
A54 100

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 8:59 PM Craig Briggs <sangaris68@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,
Very interesting that the Onan requires much more power to start than the main engine. The Onan diesel engine is, what?, maybe 15-18hp, versus the propulsion engine of, what? 80-ish hp (or more). Seems a bit counterintuitive but maybe there's a reason like the Onan needing a lot of power for preheating the glow plugs (I never need preheat on my propulsion engine but always need 10 seconds-ish on the generator). I'm quite curious about the reason - can you elaborate, please?
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL