Re: Observation on using 12v Lifepo4 batteries in serial/parallel (probably applicable to lead, too)

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

I might be stating the obvious here but unless battery midpoints are interconnected, you will need one balancer per battery pair. They start doing their job when voltage is above 27.3V. For their price, I think they are worth it for any 24V system using 12V battery pairs.

Cheers,
Mike

On Sat, Jun 4, 2022, 10:41 AM Jose Venegas via groups.io <josegvenegas=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Scott,
I agree with Dean.  Independent of the band, it makes sense that controlling the total voltage of a battery set in series does not ensure that the voltage of both batteries is sufficient to trigger balancing in both.  The victron balancer does the trick. I spoke about it to a technician of Battle borne and he agreed with its use.  I used to have differences greater than 2% between the  two battery voltages of one set during the final part of charging to 100%.  Since I installed the balancer the differences have been around 0.1 and 0.2%.   I have 4 sets of two 12V 100 ah lithium batteries in series with one balancer.

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278
Cartagena