Re: Running poles

Nick the pole fittings were originally riveted.

Someone has tampered with this and that caused your paint to bubble. My guess is that they drilled the rivet holes larger and this caused moisture to get between the paint and aluminum.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Sat, Jun 4, 2022 at 3:26 AM Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I re placed the pealing strip that protects the pole from the bulwork with some cow hide. It is glued down with two part contact adhesive. We shall see how long it lasts. It may curl off on the sun…if so then maybe a piece of treadmaster would be better.

I stitched on some at the heel of the pole to protect the deck a few years ago and it is fine. See photos

But the stainless fittings have corroded the aluminium.

I think that I will remove the end cap and the fittings which are bolted and epoxy prime, repaint and insert some kind of spacer between the aluminium and the stainless. I was thinking to fibre glass and epoxy onto the primer  and paint over before redrilling and using Monel rivets…to fix the stainless fittings. There is a backing plate that takes the load, the rivets are just to hold it all in place.
If anyone has a better idea please let me know….
Nick
S/Y Amelia, just hanging out and doing those smaller jobs….
Fethiye bay Turkey
AML54-019