Re: Near constant hot water without a generator - Here is how i did it.

Mark Erdos

Davi,

Cream Puff's water heater heat exchanger is plumbed to the generator. IMO - It makes a lot more sense than having it plumbed to the engine. There are some water heaters that allow for 2 heat exchangers to be used, so a person could plumb both the engine and genset. However, I don't see this as much of an advantage.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

On 6/11/2022 6:27 PM, Davi Rozgonyi wrote:
I have a tangentially related question I'd like to add on if I may. Running the main engine heats the hot water tank by diverting some hot cooling water into it's body. Has anyone teed the generator's cooling water into the hot water tank? And if not, why not? l run the generator every few days for bigger things like laundry, dive compressor, etc, and it would be nice to have a little shot of warm water in there.... Incidentally, with a good battery bank (we have simple agms) and decent solar (800W) you can just run the hot water heater off it, it pulls 8 percent out of the battery bank from cold to hot, which is pretty doable on a nice sunny day to replace in a few hours. But the automated safety system above definitely sounds cool, so to speak :)