Bow Thruster maintenance fail

Kevin Schmit

Afternoon,

looking for some wisdom/advice….

I just completed my first bow thruster maint.

While reassembling bow thruster with new lip seals I ran into an issue with the small seal that goes over the prop shaft.  While using a pipe to evenly push the seal over the last hump on the shaft the seal kept bulging out once full seated.   I would then take the unit apart and noticed the inside spring was no longer riding in the grove.  This kept after about 6 attempts.

I finally got the unit to seat properly only to find a puddle of hydraulic oil had leaked out over nite of the bow thruster.

I will order several more of the small size lip seals.

Any secrets to getting that seal to go on ?

thanks ahead of time.
--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA