Re: Onan generator does not start

Ian Townsend

Check out the wire with a spade connector that goes to the electronic fuel pump. Also, inspect the inline fuse to the starter hiding behind the unit.

-------- Original message --------
From: Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...>
Date: 2022-06-15 11:06 a.m. (GMT-05:00)
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Onan generator does not start

Roland,

Two days after we moved aboard our SM, we could not start the Onan, just as you described. The gear was new to us and we had not to opportunity to learn its tricks yet, so we contacted the previous owner, and asked him...

He knew right away what the issue was:  On the front of the Onan control panel in the engine room is a standard white toggle circuit breaker.  it is in a place that anyone working or moving in the engine room can easily bump it, and it immediately flips to "OFF" and nothing works.  In the next few years that has happened at least a half dozen times.

If that's not it, then there are others, but if they fail it would be for a reason that would need to be investigated before replacing them.  Do you have the MDKD model?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique