Deck Flood lights

Martin <yachtcaduceus@...>

Our Amel 54 is fitted with four deck floods, one in the cockpit, one for the foredeck and two on the main spreaders. They are all 28v 50w Halogen sealed beams.

We are in the process of fitting a stern arch to carry solar panels and the dinghy. Into this are being set two LED floods. These LED's are available in a variety of beam angles, and warmths, and are designed for the purpose. Similar floods are being fitted to the latest Oysters as spreader flood lights; we are having the work done at Fox's in Ipswich UK. They are is involved in fitting out Oyster yachts and I am assured that the LED floods are fit for purpose.

I am considering having some adapters made, modeled on the flange of the existing bulb that acts as the retainer in the housing that carries the bulb; machined out of some form of rigid nylon sheet, or similar. This adapter would then be used as a mount for the LED bulb without having to replace the existing housings. If successful the saving in power consumption would be considerable and make it much more practical to leave the lights on for more extended periods.

Rather than completely re-invent the wheel, does anyone have experience of this?

Regards,

Martin Bevan
Amel 54 #56 - Caduceus