Re: [Amel] Propellor

karkauai

Hi, Gary,
The turbo housing had collected a lot of carbon, and I guess moisture in the carbon deteriorated the inside of the turbo.  It had pitted the area where the waste gate closes against the housing to the point that no seal was possible in the closed position.  I don't know what happened when the turbo was replaced by the first owner.

Initially I was of the impression that I should run the Volvo under load at ~3500 rpm for 15 min or so twice a day when motoring a lot.  Since then I have been told by Amel that 3000 would be maximum expected with the Volvo, and Laurent Colonna at Amel Caraibes said that 2850 would be adequate to minimize carbon buildup.

Does anyone have a SM with the Volvo TMD and an Autoprop?  If so, can you tell me what kind of rpm you are able to get when the prop's clean?  Can you tell me the serial number on the prop so that I can have Autoprop compare it to the one on my boat?  Thanks.

Kent
KRISTY
SM 243