From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2022 4:04 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Shaft generator doesn’t load

Roland,

What is the current voltage of the batteries?  If it is VERY, VERY low then there might not be enough voltage to generate the required field current.  I think this is unlikely, but possible.

Other than that, I can think of nothing that could be related between the a deep discharge of the 24V batter bank and the failure of the shaft alternator.  The first place I would check would be for voltage on the field wire to the alternator (the small wire).  If that is not +24V to negative, then that's the issue.  Find out where the break in the circuit is.

If there IS field current, then... it's time to dive into diagnoses of the alternator itself.

What happened to the main engine 24V alternator?  Why did that fail?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique.