From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 6:29 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Onan generator does not start

Roland,

I want to remind you and Ian of what I say too often. Just because 1 SM has something installed, doesn't mean they all do. I do not believe the fuse that Ian has is Onan or Amel installed.

We do not know the Onan model installed in your Amel because you did not state the model number of the Onan. It could be original or may have been replaced.

Assuming that it is original which is probably MDKC/MDKD, there are two control panel breakers. This is the first thing to check.

image.png

What you can probably do: The next things you can check are the connections of the 12v cables including the battery, the connection block on the side of the Onan, and all of the connections on each of the solenoids used for starting, positive and negative. I suggest that you remove each connection, clean completely and use CorrosionX on the connection, then tighten completely:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

At this point, if you have not solved the issue, I suggest that you get an Onan technician onboard. There could be many possible issues including a weak battery, computer PCB, relays, solenoids, etc.

Good luck

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 5:27 AM Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:

I don't have a photo. It's on the port side of the generator, low down. Hard to find. Trace back from the starter.

From: Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...>
Date: 2022-06-15 11:06 a.m. (GMT-05:00)

Roland,

Two days after we moved aboard our SM, we could not start the Onan, just as you described. The gear was new to us and we had not to opportunity to learn its tricks yet, so we contacted the previous owner, and asked him...

He knew right away what the issue was:  On the front of the Onan control panel in the engine room is a standard white toggle circuit breaker.  it is in a place that anyone working or moving in the engine room can easily bump it, and it immediately flips to "OFF" and nothing works.  In the next few years that has happened at least a half dozen times.

If that's not it, then there are others, but if they fail it would be for a reason that would need to be investigated before replacing them.  Do you have the MDKD model?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique