Re: Onan generator does not start

Eric Freedman

Roland,

The solenoid looks like a Valeo solenoid Amel uses to ground the block on the propulsion engine.  What makes it different from other isolated solenoids is that it has a rubber button on top to close the solenoid. Did you try pressing the rubber button and try to start the generator engine? . If it works then you can take the solenoid apart and clean the contacts.

Also check the wiring connections.

If the engine works with the solenoid button depressed and you can’t fix it, you can get an isolated starter solenoid at any auto parts store. They run about $20- US.

The only difference is that the they do not have the rubber button.

I keep one as a spare as it is used on my engine.

Onan went to a regular solenoid as I previously mentioned on later model generators.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: Roland Mueller <rolimueller@...>

Date: 2022-06-16 2:26 a.m. (GMT-05:00)

Hi Bill and Ian

Thanks for the hint. We’ve checked this circuit breaker already, and it’s on. It seems that the control unit doesn’t have 12v, although 12v are supplied to the generator.

So, we try to find a the fuse, which should be there according to the electrical schema (as Ian suggested also).

We cannot find this inline fuse, even when opening the control unit. Where exactly is the inline fuse? Do you have a photo which shows its location?

We have the Onan MDKDP model, but our manuals are for MDKD.

Regards,

Roland

SM 150, Aventura

currently Reggio di Calabria

On 15 Jun 2022, at 17:44, Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:

Check out the wire with a spade connector that goes to the electronic fuel pump. Also, inspect the inline fuse to the starter hiding behind the unit.