Re: C Drive lower prop shaft seals for 1992 Super Maramu

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Michael. forgot to say that when ordering any parts from Amel a photo is your best way of ensuring the correct part is dispatched which is why they request it. While our descriptions may seem clear to us they may sow confusion in translation.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 22/06/2022 12:33 Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,

You just must ask for the wearing out bearing and the 3 lip seals for the “C” drive.

They will know what you are looking for. Are you using Gear oil or 15- 40 oil?

If the oil is not milky then I would not worry. Just keep adding Gear oil until you can change the seals and bearing.

I do it every other year when I haul Kimberlite for a paint job.

The seals and bearing are shown in the photo above just forward of the prop.

I would suggest ordering anything else you might need in the future as the FedEx is costly.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 8:06 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io; Michael Stuben <stuben@...>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] C Drive lower prop shaft seals for 1992 Super Maramu

Hi Michael, seal are seals and available at any engineering supply company. However when you change the seals you also need to replace the wearing bushing available from Amel. I did once get one turned by a local engineer for about the same price as Amel and it was fine.
Kind regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 22/06/2022 11:49 Michael Stuben <stuben@...> wrote:

Hello group;
My SM is losing a little bit of oil from the C Drive every week.  I can see occasionally the expected oil film on the water which obviously isn't good.  Water does not seem to enter the drive, oil looks clean and has not creamy foam.  I did email Amel in France about the 3 seals and bushing.  The responds after 10 days was "send us pictures of the parts" and I think there got to be a better solution.  I can't really haul out, remove the seals and wait a month or 2 on the hard until the new seals arrive.  That sounds pretty expensive.  Specially since this is a waer part that requires replacement on regular intervals.

Does anyone know the part numbers I need?  I bought frequently seals and bearings from 3rd party suppliers before but I like to stick to the Amel / OEM parts for this. The seals are really the least expensive thing here, the haul out and related stuff is where the money will go anyway.  I believe I need 3 seals plus a bushing.  I would prefer to order that to my US address.  

#078 with hull number 0030017SM78 build in 1992
Looks like the cast iron version C Drive

I can order the parts in the US and look for a yard in Tahiti for the install.  Any recommendations are appreciated.

--
Michael Andreas - Maya SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.